Paleo Diet and recipes
So maybe you are thinking that a Plaeo diet could be too much of an issue and that you are not actually ready for the change. Well you are quite incorrect in fact nothing could be more simpler than a Paleo diet and recipes are as easily available as is adjusting your regular recipes. Paleo diet recipes are neither boring or complicated the only difference is that meals will be wholesome, flavoursome and healthy.
You will notice that meals consist of approximately 60-70% protein (animal) with the balance being fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
GRAIN (all grain products) and DAIRY (all dairy products) are EXCLUDED totally from the Paleo diet and recipes.
It is very important to source fresh, organic, natural and wild produce and seasonal if possible – this has the added benefit of being carbon footprint friendly.
Your main meal for the day can be adjusted according to your personal lifestyle. An easy way to creating Paleo recipes is to start off with one of your regular recipes and substitute the ‘cannot have’ with a ‘can have’ ingredient ie spaghetti bolognaise – omit the pasta and substitute with ‘spaghetti’ strips of blanched zucchini. Personally I prefer to use the zucchini strips raw but it is up to the individual.
Possible options of meals:
- 2 eggs scrambled with diced tomato and mushroom
- Bowl of fruit salad with nuts and cashew cream
- Vegetable fritters
- Liver and bacon with grilled tomato.
- Fruit smoothy of choice eg banana, berries and fresh coconut blended with ice cubes etc.
- Grilled fish with grilled tomato and mushroom.
- 2 Egg omelette with Paleo filling of choice.
Midday and evening meals
These can be adjusted according to your daily routine.
- Mushroom burger with salad (burger patty between to large brown mushrooms)
- Roast meat of choice, vegetables and salad
- Meat stew with vegetable bake and salsa
- Bolognaise – made with zucchini spaghetti
- Seafood, avocado and fresh asparagus salad
- Chunky soup of choice.
- Steak, roasted vegetables on bed of fresh rocket.
- Chili con carne – Paleo style – see recipe below:
Sauces and dressings may be used to enhance your meals. An all time favourite dressing being the combination of honey, lemon juice, seasoning and fresh, finely chopped herbs of choice mixed gently or blended together.
That is right – DESSERT!!! Paleo food diet recipes or menu is INCLUSIVE of dessert and this is where your creativity and imagination can run wild. Apple tart made with a crushed pecan nut base, berry sorbet, lemon granite are but a few ideas.
Paleo Chili con carne – Paleo style
500gram Good quality minced beef
2 medium onions diced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
2 sticks of celery
1 Red and yellow pepper each
1 Cup diced pumpkin pieces
3 Skinned and diced tomatoes
2 chopped deseeded chillies
1 teaspoon oregano
1 heaped teaspoon Chilli powder, gown cumin, each
1 stick cinnamon
Couple of bay leaves
Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Beef stock if required.
In the olive oil sweat the diced onion, garlic, celery and peppers until soft. Add spices and heat until spice aroma is released. Add minced beef and ‘brown’ lightly. Add all other ingredients and leave to simmer until ready for serving on top of a bed of mixed vegetables or zucchini rosti.